Skip to main content

Dirty Dancing (1987)


Directed by Emile Ardolino
Released August 21, 1987
Written by Eleanor Bergstein

Movie Synopsis Courtesy of IMDB

"Spending the summer as a Catskills resort with her family, Frances 'Baby' Houseman falls in love with the camp's dance instructor, Johnny Castle."

I would say that Dirty Dancing is another classic in terms of movies as a whole. It is one of those movies where even if you haven't seen it (which is crazy to think about) you at least have heard of it and know about the iconic dance scene. But we will discuss that scene later.

Something interesting to think about is the fact that this movie was suppose to take place in 1963, but was filmed in the late 80s. I never knew that, that was the time period for the movie! Thinking about it now, it makes sense, but that is not the initial vibe I get. I think that is in part to the hair styles and the clothes seeming very 80s. Just look at the workout/dance clothes that Baby wears, it is far more scandalous than what would have been culturally acceptable in the 60s. Then you can't deny the puffy, teased out hair that most women in this movie are sporting. I will say that Johnny and Baby's dad do look like they are dressed from the 60s, but they are really the only ones.

While talking about wardrobe, something interesting to point out is the contrast between Baby and Johnny. Baby is always in light/bright colors while Johnny is normally in all black. This could just be a staple of a typical dancer who normally wears all black when dancing (I am a dancer so I can confirm this), I think this also is a subtle comment on their characters. She is the optimism, the good, sees the bright side while Johnny is negative and is seen as an outcast to everyone at the camp. Costume designs such as this is often portrayed in many movies, but rarely people pick up on it and comment on it. That is because it is suppose to be subtle and unnoticeable to the average viewer. The costuming is suppose to complete the character and their personality. So when you don't notice costume designs such as this, then the director and costume designers of the movie did their jobs! It is all about incorporating elements that the viewer won't notice, but aids the movie in the long run. Which, in the long run, will make the characters feel more real to the viewer.

Something I want to commend this movie for is the ability to bring up tough subject matter and be able to make comments about it, without it taking over the movie. It is no surprise I am talking about the abortion scene. Back in the 60s abortions were still not legal in the US, it wasn't until 1973 that Roe vs. Wade came around. So even in the late 80s this is still a sensitive topic to bring up, but they did it in a tasteful way that highlights the horrors of not legalizing abortions. Something like this is a big risk to take because many people will dislike a movie that brings up subject matters such as this, but clearly the way this was portrayed didn't hinder the entire movie. This probably is also the case because it was not the center point of the movie, it was more of a minor plot line. If this had been the center point of the movie then I think there would have been a lot more back lash from it.




Switching gears to a more positive note, I am going to throw in my common phrase here "I wish I was born in the 80s (60s)." While this movie technically took place in the 60s, I think what I am about to say still made sense in the 80s. I wish that going to camps like this was still a thing! It looks like fun to be at a resort where there are arts and crafts, dance lessons, talent shows, and other games. But just like it is said in the movie, kids now-a-days want trips to Europe and not to spend time with their parents. The fun of this kind of vacation is also the lack of technology. Just enjoying fun and entertainment without worrying about TV shows or Social Media. Just having a good time playing games and doing arts and crafts. Part of the reason why I loved the 80s so much is people still did these kinds of things. You don't see people in their 20s or 30s wanting to go take dance lessons for fun or do arts and crafts. At least they don't do it without posting about it right away. It is just a different way of keeping yourself occupied and having fun. It is a more in the moment type of fun that I wish was more common today.

Speaking of dance lessons, one of my favorite scenes in this movie is when Baby and Johnny are practicing in the studio and they are goofing around.



This goes back to the idea of just having fun and being in the moment. They are just goofing around and it is so cute to see. It is also interesting to note that this scene was not scripted. The two were just playing around and preparing for their next scene, but the director loved it so much that he kept it in. Which I am glad that they did because it is supper cute.


Just like many of these movies that I have talked about so far, they wanted to do a sequel because of the great success of it. They even went so far as to offer Patrick Swayze $6 million to do it. He declined because he wasn't a fan of sequels to begin with. I think this was a smart move because just like how Ferris Bueller was about a single day's adventure, this movie is about a single summer. While it would be great to see what happens to Baby and Johnny, it wouldn't be the same. This movie deserves to stand alone.

Finally, I can't talk about Dirty Dancing without talking about the most iconic part of it. The ending dance sequence accompanied by the song Time of My Life" by Billy Medley and Jennifer Warnes. 



This dance sequence is a testament that when you have the right actors, the right choreography, the right music, and the perfect chemistry, then you can create an iconic scene that will be remember for years to come and that people will emulate time and time again. This scene is the perfect ending to the movie because it shows that you can be who you want to be no matter who tries to tell you other wise: referring to both Johnny and Baby. It also is a great ending because if you look closely you will notice that the choreography is the same choreography they did at the performance at The Sheldrake. It was a mess and she didn't do the lift at that performance, but at the ending they have a connection and the execution is spot on. That is a full circle moment, which creates a perfect ending. 

Baby: "Me? I'm scared of everything. I'm scared of what I saw, I'm scared of what I did, of who I am, and most of all I'm scared of walking out of this room and never feeling the rest of my whole life the way I feel when I'm with you."


Johnny: "Nobody puts Baby in a corner."








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)

Directed by John Hughes Released June 11, 1986 Screenplay by John Hughes Movie Synopsis Courtesy of IMDB “A high school wise guy is determined to have a day off from school, despite what the Principal thinks of that.” Now this blog is going to be extra hard to write, in terms of trying not to write a novel on this movie. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off is probably my favorite movie of all time. It never gets old to me and there are way too many quotable moments in this movie. On top of that, the characters are perfect and I for once do not have a real problem with any of them (only slightly with one, but we will get to that). The first thing that I want to throw out there is that if you love this movie as much as I do, never ever read the screenplay.   It is completely different from the movie and in my opinion if the movie was made how the screenplay was written it wouldn’t have been as successful. For those of you curious, here are the biggest diff

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989)

Directed by Stephen Herek Released February 17, 1989 Written by Chris Matheson & Ed Solomon Movie Synopsis Courtesy of IMDB "Two seemingly dumb teens set off on a quest to prepare the ultimate historical presentation with the help of a time machine." So the easiest way to explain this film is to just watch this honest trailer. There we go, blog done. That's all you need to know. Well the trailer is pretty accurate in terms of the kind of movie this is. In simple terms, it is a typical "dude" film. Not in terms of it being two guys together, but in the stereotyping and characterization of the high school slacker/dumb/surfer/stoner/band guy. Where the word dude is used more than actual words out of the character's mouth. It is the type of film that needs very little brain power and a lot of reliance on jokes based on stupidity. Now that isn't me saying that the film is necessarily stupid, I just mean in terms of joke

Footloose (1984)

Directed by Herbert Ross Released February 17th, 1984 Written by Dean Pitchford Movie Synopsis Courtesy of IMDB "A city teenager moves to a small town where rock music and dancing have been banned, and his rebellious spirit shakes up the populace." I am going to start today's entry by going on a little bit of a rant here. That is because I can't stand (for the most part) remakes! Now I have never seen the remake of Footloose, I just want to put that out there so I don't sound like a hypocrite. What is the point of remakes?! I am not just talking about this movie, I mean all remakes. These movies were such a success because of the actors, the crew, the director, and the story itself. You do a remake and pretty much everything from the original is stripped away except the story line. So that means you could never make the remake as good as the original, and very seldom they are. It is rare for someone to say the remake was better than the origina