Skip to main content

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)


Directed by Amy Heckerling
Released August 13th, 1982
Screenplay and Book by Cameron Crowe

Movie synopsis courtesy of IMDB.
"A group of Southern California high school students are enjoying their most important subjects: sex, drugs and rock n' roll."

Now I am going to put this out there right away, I think that this movie is one of my least favorite 80s movies that I have seen (to date). There is something about it that doesn't click. I have thought about it and I think it is mainly the casting that went wrong.

The characters were not as popular as some other actors like Tom Cruise, the Brat Pack, Johnny Depp, Jennifer Grey, etc. back in the 80s. So they had that going for them, or well not going for them. Which that isn't a bad thing, because a lot of times you find some great actors out of people you have never heard about before. The problem was that they weren't that likable or relatable, at least I didn't care for them. Like Mike Damone for example. You can tell by the way he acts he is suppose to be kind of a bad boy, but also a ladies man to an extent. I see him as a badder version of Ferris Bueller, but he just comes off as a creep. He is not attractive, his way of going about girls is desperate, and I feel like anyone associated with him should be worried about getting arrested at any moment.

The only actor that has something going for him in this movie is Jeff Spicoli played by Sean Penn. He has the typical stoner/surfer vibe down. It seems like in most 80s movies you have to have a character like Spicoli, the stoner who could care less about school or anything else. He has a few catch phrases that create comic relief and besides that, he is used as a punching bag for the movie. Using him as cheap jokes and stereotypical story lines.

I have to say though, he is probably the originator of the phrase "I don't know." His common response to anything his teacher Mr. Hand said. Just image if this character was around when instant messaging started and he would just tell his teacher "IDK." Ha! I can just see how infuriated Mr. Hand would be with that because Spicoli doesn't even have the decency to use real words. Which in Spicoli's defense he would love because it is less work for him.


The other reason why this movie isn't one of my favorites is because it is only about sex! Yes, I know most 80s movies are, or they all come back to something sexual. This movie, though, is honestly only about that. Each of the main characters, except maybe Spicoli, has a sexual phantasy about someone, has sex, or makes out with someone.  It just seems like, what is the point of this movie? Why do we care?

I know it will seem hypocritical of me to say this because The Breakfast Club has a similar free style of not much happening, but I will explain the differences of that more when I get to that movie.

I would also love to add here about having Judge Reinhold, Brad Hamiliton, in this movie. If you don't recognize his name, he was the step-dad in The Santa Claus movies: Neil. It cracks me up seeing him in this movie, being a young horny teenager who gets a new job every other week. Whenever I watch this movie, I think it is Neil from The Santa Claus movies and this is why he is so weird as an adult, because he couldn't hold down a job as a kid and dealt with people too much. He was always working with food or as a cashier where he had to deal with annoying people, and that's why he became a psychologist in The Santa Claus movies.

Anyways, that brings me to something else that I find funny. Back in the 80s, especially in the movies, it was so common for people to have jobs working in fast food or as cashiers at gas stations, etc. But now, teenagers don't do that as much. I feel like a lot more of them work as waiters/waitresses, in movie theaters, at summer camps, at coffee shops, etc. I feel like now if you work at a fast food restaurant you are generally not a teenager. Now I am not trying to generalize or stereotype, but to me when I go to places like this I see more adult/young adults working there. Not many teenagers.

I also feel like, less teenagers have part time jobs in high school. Back in the 80s it seems like everyone had one and would go there most days after school.  (I am saying this based off the movies I have seen and what I have learned about the 80s). I looked at some demographics and it is clear that part time employment was way more popular in the 70s and 80s than it is now.

Part of that could be kids don't have as much time now. School is more difficult and demanding. Sports, clubs, and activities take up more time, doing college prep is stressed even more, plus other responsibilities people might have, how do you fit a job in there as well? The 80s were a simpler time, less stress, and more time for fun. Just ask Spicoli.

The last thing I want to say about this topic is Brad Hamiliton's way of dealing with a burglar at the gas station. Throwing hot coffee on him! It is hysterical and honestly if you tried that now-a-days, you would probably get shot in the process.



Now I want to leave this post with some positiveness. I don't hate this movie, trust me I wouldn't have written about it if I did. It is just not one of my favorites. But I have love for all 80s movies because there is a special place in my heart for everything 80s. Even for 80s movies that don't have much of a story. It still portrays the 80s as they were, which makes me happy!

Brad Hamilton: "Why don't you get a job Spicoli?"
Spicoli: "What for?"
Brad: "You need money."
Spicoli: "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine."




Comments

  1. Sean Penn has always looked like he's 50 years old and carries cigars and a flask in his back pocket. I didn't really like this movie either because none of the cast members looked like teenagers except for Brad's little sis (the one who I believe got an abortion because she got knocked up by the creepy dude.) The only person I know to have disliked the movie more than we do is my mom, who in her conservative leaing rage took out the movie a quarter way through and broke the dvd in half, claiming "THIS ENCOURRAGES TEENAGERS TO HAVE SEX, AND LETS OLD MEN OGLE AT TEENAGE GIRLS! ONLY SICK OLD MEN LIKE THIS! AND YOUR DAD MUST BE ONE OF THEM!"

    -Angela Crespo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That story cracks me up! I know it must have been freaky when it happened but that is really funny! And that's the problem with the movie industry. Most of the time the "high schoolers" are not that age. Even in Grease John Travolta and Oliva Newton-John were older in that movie too. But to be fair, with the amount of Sex in this movie, you kinda need to have older adults in it. Otherwise it would have been creepy and weird with actual teenagers.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)

Directed by John Hughes Released June 11, 1986 Screenplay by John Hughes Movie Synopsis Courtesy of IMDB “A high school wise guy is determined to have a day off from school, despite what the Principal thinks of that.” Now this blog is going to be extra hard to write, in terms of trying not to write a novel on this movie. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off is probably my favorite movie of all time. It never gets old to me and there are way too many quotable moments in this movie. On top of that, the characters are perfect and I for once do not have a real problem with any of them (only slightly with one, but we will get to that). The first thing that I want to throw out there is that if you love this movie as much as I do, never ever read the screenplay.   It is completely different from the movie and in my opinion if the movie was made how the screenplay was written it wouldn’t have been as successful. For those of you curious, here are the biggest diff

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989)

Directed by Stephen Herek Released February 17, 1989 Written by Chris Matheson & Ed Solomon Movie Synopsis Courtesy of IMDB "Two seemingly dumb teens set off on a quest to prepare the ultimate historical presentation with the help of a time machine." So the easiest way to explain this film is to just watch this honest trailer. There we go, blog done. That's all you need to know. Well the trailer is pretty accurate in terms of the kind of movie this is. In simple terms, it is a typical "dude" film. Not in terms of it being two guys together, but in the stereotyping and characterization of the high school slacker/dumb/surfer/stoner/band guy. Where the word dude is used more than actual words out of the character's mouth. It is the type of film that needs very little brain power and a lot of reliance on jokes based on stupidity. Now that isn't me saying that the film is necessarily stupid, I just mean in terms of joke

Footloose (1984)

Directed by Herbert Ross Released February 17th, 1984 Written by Dean Pitchford Movie Synopsis Courtesy of IMDB "A city teenager moves to a small town where rock music and dancing have been banned, and his rebellious spirit shakes up the populace." I am going to start today's entry by going on a little bit of a rant here. That is because I can't stand (for the most part) remakes! Now I have never seen the remake of Footloose, I just want to put that out there so I don't sound like a hypocrite. What is the point of remakes?! I am not just talking about this movie, I mean all remakes. These movies were such a success because of the actors, the crew, the director, and the story itself. You do a remake and pretty much everything from the original is stripped away except the story line. So that means you could never make the remake as good as the original, and very seldom they are. It is rare for someone to say the remake was better than the origina